About us

Home > About us > Our history

Our history

Regions Hospital - About us - Image

1872

The tradition of health care excellence at Regions Hospital can be traced to an old stone mansion. In 1872, the Ramsey County Board of Control authorized the purchase of the mansion to serve as a hospital. Prior to the purchase, the mansion served as a hospital under the ownership of Jacob Stewart, MD, one of St. Paul’s most prominent physicians and a three-term mayor.

1873

The Stewart Mansion is established as City and County Hospital and is operated by two physicians, including Dr. Stewart.

1891

The Ancker School of Nursing, a training school for nurses, is established. Many highly-trained nurses graduate from the school until it closes in 1976.

1895

Because of overcrowding in the old mansion building, a new hospital building opens to the public in November. A group of charitable women presents the hospital with its first ambulance and an anonymous donor purchases two horses to operate it.

Regions Hospital - About us - Image

1913

The hospital celebrates its 40th anniversary. Since 1872, it has grown from 10 beds to more than 600 beds. At the time, it is the tenth largest hospital in the country and the largest west of Chicago.

1923

City and County Hospital is renamed Ancker Hospital in honor of its late superintendent, Arthur B. Ancker, MD.

1946

Group Health loans an iron lung respirator to Ancker Hospital during a major polio epidemic in the region.

1948

Physicians perform the first heart surgery in St. Paul on a four-year-old girl at Ancker Hospital.

Regions Hospital - About us - Image

1965

Ancker Hospital becomes St. Paul-Ramsey Hospital as it moves to its current location at Jackson and University avenues. One year later, Ramsey Foundation forms to raise funds for patient care, education and research at the hospital.

1972

MedCenters Health Plan is founded by a 72-member physician group.

1977

The hospital’s name becomes St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center when the North Building is added to the Ramsey campus.

1979

Ramsey Clinic, a multi-specialty group practice, is incorporated by the hospital’s medical staff.

1986

The hospital becomes a private, nonprofit facility and is no longer county-operated. One year later, the hospital, clinic and foundation are organized under common management.

1992

HealthPartners forms through the merger of Group Health and MedCenters Health Plan.

The hospital opens a new facility for Ramsey Family Physicians in east St. Paul.

1993

The American College of Surgeons formally verifies St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center as a Level I Trauma Center.

St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center and the Ramsey organizations merge with HealthPartners.

Regions Hospital - About us - Image

1994

Ramsey’s renowned burn center, established in 1963, opens its new 18-bed facility.

HealthPartners and Ramsey open a new Same-Day Surgery Center at Highway 280 and University Avenue in September.

1995

The Health Center for Women — the Twin Cities’ first women’s clinic staffed entirely by female physicians — expands and moves to a new site at Highway 280 and University Avenue.

The east metro’s busiest emergency center is expanded into new facilities with advanced technology, private treatment rooms and comfortable waiting areas.

1996

A remodeled inpatient pediatric unit is completed in January. Its award-winning design is developed with instruction from children.

Ramsey physicians join HealthPartners physicians in caring for patients at the HealthPartners Physician Clinic/Ramsey Clinic in St. Paul’s Midway neighborhood.

The HealthPartners Institute for Medical Education is created to provide leadership and coordination for medical education programs at the hospital and the HealthPartners organizations.

The HealthPartners Woodbury Clinic opens featuring ReadyCare, staffed by Ramsey physicians.

HealthPartners and Ramsey Clinic physicians form the HealthPartners Medical Group.

1997

St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center renovates its catheterization laboratory with highly-advanced digital technology.

St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center becomes Regions Hospital on September 15.

1999

Regions Hospital enters into a management agreement with Hudson Medical Center in Hudson, Wisconsin.

The Health Resource Center, which contains a large collection of health and wellness materials, is opened to patients, visitors and the public.

Regions Hospital - About us - Image

Groundbreaking for the hospital’s construction and renovation project. The project focuses on our Heart Center, Birth Center, Cancer Center, Surgical Services, Critical Care Services and Gastroenterology Services.

2000

Ramsey Clinic-Jackson Street Adult and Pediatric clinics are relocated to HealthPartners Ramsey Clinic-Midway.

Holistic health unit opens at Regions Hospital. It includes massage, aroma and music therapy as part of the care.

Regions Hospital became the preferred health care provider for the Minnesota Wild professional Hockey team.

Opening of new Heart Center, Birth Center, Surgical Services, Surgical Intensive Care Unit and Gastroenterology Services as part of a $62 million expansion and renovation project.

2001

Through a partnership with HealthPartners, the Hudson Hospital Emergency Room, Hudson, Wisconsin, is staffed with Emergency Medicine Physicians from Regions Hospital.

Regions Hospital sends staff members to New York to aid in relief efforts after the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

A 14-bed telemetry unit was added to 8 South, allowing Regions Hospital to meet the needs of cardiology patients.

2002

The HealthPartners Institute of Medical Education and the University of Minnesota celebrated their 100-year partnership providing medical student education.

Regions Hospital opened a new 5,000-square foot Breast Health Center and a new 9,000-square foot Cancer Care Center.

Regions Hospital Emergency Center added a private bereavement room for friends and family members to grieve with the body of their deceased loved ones.

Regions Hospital installed NaviCare, giving physicians, nurses and patients’ family members the ability to track a patient’s progress in real time.

2003

Regions Hospital board appoints Brock Nelson as President and CEO after Terry Finzen retires after six years in the position.

2005

Regions Hospital implements the electronic health record to safely store health information.

The East Metro Medical Resource Control Center (MRCC), which provides ambulance service communications, is housed on the Regions campus.

2006

The Level 1 Cardiac Program is formally launched with the team treating 119 people during the first year.

Regions Hospital is chosen to be part of the 100,000 Lives campaign (now known as 5 million lives campaign), which supports the improvement of medical care in the U.S. and works to significantly reduce levels of morbidity and mortality.

2007

The United States department of Health & Human Service awards Regions a national honor for organ donation.

The first da Vinci (robotic) surgery performed in Minnesota takes place at Regions.

Several Regions Hospital outpatient clinics move to the HealthPartners Specialty Center on Phalen Blvd.

2008

Regions Hospital is named one of the “100 Best Places to Work” by Modern Healthcare.

The Regions Hospital Heart Center expands and doubles its current size.

Over 200 people are treated by Regions staff members within the Xcel Energy Center during the Republican National Convention.

A new behavioral health unit opens to accommodate short-term stay patients.

2009

Health Imaging and IT Magazine name Regions as a Top 25 Connected Healthcare Facility.

Regions is the first hospital in the upper Midwest to be certified as a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center.

In July of 2009, a south section addition to Regions is complete. This includes a new emergency center, surgery center and 180 private patient rooms.

2010

The United States Department of Defense selects Regions as one of 24 trauma centers to solve warfare orthopaedic challenges.

Regions is one of eight hospitals selected for the Aligning Forces for Quality grant. This national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation seeks to improve the quality of care, reduce racial and ethnic disparities, and provide models for national reform.

The 10th floor of the south section opens with 36 private rooms for surgery and neuroscience patients.

2011

Regions is named "Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence" by HealthGrades.

Regions created the only Twin Cities acute care surgical service line meaning that there are doctors and surgeons available 24/7 to serve patients with non-traumatic unexpected problems (like appendicitis).

Ground is broke on a new 98-bed Mental Health facility to open in 2012.