Patients & guestsHome > Patients & guests > Patient safety
Fall prevention program
Depending on your injury, illness or medications, you may be at risk of falling as you try to stand up or get out of bed without help. The nursing staff will assess your risk for falls and implement the appropriate interventions to keep you safe.
We ask you to:
- Let us know if you have a history of falling
- Use a call light when needed
- Always wear slippers or shoes when out of bed; slippers are available on request
- Let us know if you feel dizzy or weak when you get up
- Follow your doctor’s orders about your activity level
- Keep extra belongings out of the walk area and in your closet or dresser
- Tell staff when your visitors are leaving so that we can make sure safety equipment such as bed or chair alarms are in place
Regions Hospital participates in The Joint Commission’s Speak UpTM campaign by encouraging patients to take a role in preventing health care errors by becoming active, involved and informed participants on the health care team.
The Speak UpTM campaign encourages the public to do the following:
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns, and if you don’t understand, ask again. It’s your body and you have a right to know.
- Pay attention to the care you are receiving. Make sure you’re getting the right treatments and medications by the right health care professionals. Don’t assume anything.
- Educate yourself about your diagnosis, the medical tests you are undergoing and your treatment plan.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate.
- Know which medications you take and why you take them. Medication errors are the most common health care errors.
- Use a hospital, clinic, surgery center or other type of health care organization that has undergone a rigorous on-site evaluation against established state-of-the-art quality and safety standards such as that provided by The Joint Commission.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment. You are the center of the health care team.
For more information or to report any concerns, contact The Joint Commission at 800-994-6610.
For your protection, we conduct several safety drills throughout the year. If a drill occurs while you are here, please remain in your room unless notified otherwise by your nurse.
For your safety, all hospital staff are required to wear a name tag with a photo identification. Between the hours of 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., any family members of patients in the hospital are also required to wear identification.
Smoking is not allowed on the Regions Hospital campus. The closest place to smoke is on the public sidewalks outside the hospital. We encourage you to check with your doctor about methods such as nicotine gum or a nicotine patch to help you stop smoking. Minnesota residents can also take advantage of a free stop-smoking program. Call the number listed for your health plan or the QUITPLAN helpline if you are uninsured.
Find a doctorOur staff includes 700 HealthPartners providers.