Dennis W. Zhu, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Secondary Language: Mandarin Chinese
After finishing my fellowship at Mayo Clinic in 1993, I joined the faculty at Baylor College of Medicine where I served as the Director of Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology. I was also the medical consultant for NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston where I was responsible for the arrhythmia problems in astronauts. In 1998 I moved back to Minnesota to join a private practice. In 2003, I was recruited by HealthPartners to establish a new electrophysiology program at Regions Hospital.
The diagnosis and management of cardiac arrhythmia have experienced a major revolution in the last 25 years. I am glad that I have been a part of that. I was the first one to report the use of radiofrequency catheter ablation to eliminate symptomatic ventricular ectopic activities. This approach is now being widely used all over the world.
I have personally preformed over 8,000 electrophysiology procedures, including catheter ablation of a wide spectrum of cardiac arrhythmias and implantation of a variety of pacemakers and defibrillators. I have over 100 scientific publications. In the last 10 years, I have been the director of cardiac arrhythmia service and electrophysiology laboratories at Regions Hospital and HealthPartners. I am also a Professor of Medicine at the University of Minnesota Medical School. I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to serve the people in this country where hard work is always appreciated.
I am a Fellow of the following associations:
* Heart Rhythm Society (HRS)
* American College of Cardiology (ACC)
* American Heart Association
- Medical School: Sichuan Medical College West China University 1982
- Residency in Internal Medicine: Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals 1989
- Fellowship in Cardiology: Mayo Graduate School of Medical Education 1991
- Fellowship in Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology: Mayo Graduate School of Medical Education 1993
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine-Cardiovascular Disease
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine-Cardiac Electrophysiology