Colleen T. Morton, MB BCH
- Practicing Specialty: Hematology, Oncology, Oncology & Hematology
- Secondary Language: Afrikaans
I am a board certified Hematologist-Oncologist and I am the Medical Director of Clinical Coagulation at Regions Hospital, HealthPartners. I am also an Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota Department of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation.
Originally from South Africa, I attended Medical School at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg and moved to Minnesota to complete my internal medicine residency, hematology oncology fellowship and master¿s in clinical research. My areas of research included bleeding and clotting disorders and sickle-cell anemia.
My main areas of interest and practice are bleeding and clotting disorders and benign and malignant hematology. I see both men and women with thrombotic and hypercoagulable conditions. I also investigate and manage bleeding disorders. I work closely with our obstetrics and gynecology department and I treat bleeding and clotting and blood disorders associated with pregnancy.
I am privileged to work with our medical and surgical departments as well as with our pharmacy in the management of all the anticoagulation protocols at HealthPartners. I am a member of our transfusion committee and I work with our emergency departments and trauma committee to design bleeding management protocols.
I have been recognized locally and regionally for my expertise in benign and malignant hematology and clinical coagulation, and I have served on numerous advisory committees to develop guidelines for appropriate use of anticoagulants and hemostatic agents. My work has been published in journals such as "Transfusion Medicine", "The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery", "Thrombosis and Hemostasis" and "Seminars in Cerebral Vascular Disease and Stoke".
I am a member of the following professional associations:
* American Society of Hematology (ASH)
* International Society on Thrombosis & Haemostasis (ISTH)
* Hemostasis & Thrombosis Research Society (HTRS)
* American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Medical School: University of the Witwatersrand- South Africa 1992
- Internship in Internal Medicine: University of the Witwatersrand- South Africa 1993
- Residency in Internal Medicine: University of the Witwatersrand- South Africa 1996
- Residency in Internal Medicine: University of Minnesota 1998
- Fellowship in Oncology & Hematology: University of Minnesota 2003
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine-Hematology