Kurt C. Demel, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Hematology, Oncology, Oncology & Hematology
- Secondary Language: German
I am a board certified Hematologist-Oncologist and a member of the faculty of the University of Minnesota Department of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation. My special interests include head and neck cancer and benign/malignant hematology. I am also very interested in cancer survivorship issues. As a practicing physician, I strongly believe in helping my patients and families cope with the diagnosis of a major illness - recognizing its emotional, spiritual and physical toll.
I earned my medical degree from the University of Cincinnati and completed my hematology/oncology fellowship at the Brown University program in Providence, Rhode Island.
I am engaged in oncology leadership at both the local and national levels. Recently, I was granted a leadership development award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology. In addition, I have been recognized by the National Cancer Institute for my commitment to clinical research. I am a member of the Board of Directors of the Minnesota Society of Clinical Oncology (MSCO) and a member of the American Society of Hematology (ASH).
My interest in program development led me to obtain an MBA and start the first adult-oriented survivorship program in a community setting in the state of Minnesota. I also have specialized certification in acupuncture and use this in my integrative approach to supportive oncology.
Outside of my responsibilities at HealthPartners, I have enjoyed being active in medical mission work in Benin and Tanzania. In my free time, I am often on the trail or high school track. I have a personal goal of completing a marathon in each continent by age 50.
- Medical School: University of Cincinnati Hospital 1998
- Residency in Internal Medicine: Christ Hospital 2002
- Fellowship in Oncology & Hematology: Brown Univ. - Roger Williams Medical Center 2006
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine-Hematology
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine