Rochus K. Voeller, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
- Secondary Language: Japanese
My career as a cardiothoracic surgeon is a result of interest kindled at a young age by opportunities to meet and visit with community surgeons, whose work and dedication impressed me and gave me my career direction. I was particularly fascinated with open heart surgery, which was pioneered here in Minnesota in the early days. Open heart surgery requires a highly skilled and perfectly orchestrated team of surgeons, assistants, scrub nurses, anesthesiologists, and perfusionists. I was impressed with how quickly patients got better after surgery and recovered from various heart problems, some life-threatening. I decided to devote my career to being a heart surgeon.
Originally from the Twin Cities, I attended Medical School at the University of Minnesota and completed my surgical training at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. There, I participated and trained in all types of operations, including routine coronary bypass surgeries and valve repairs/replacements, heart and lung transplants, and placing ventricular assist devices in patients with end-stage heart failure. I was also involved in research in the surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation.
My clinical interests include all aspects of adult cardiac surgery, as well as general thoracic surgery. In this demanding, rapidly evolving specialty, I believe in applying the most current evidence-based care and technology to my patients. I am also committed to individualized, personal, and attentive care to all my patients.
Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Regions Hospital - Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
- 640 Jackson St Saint Paul, MN 55101 (map)
- Appointments: (651) 254-4130
- Medical School: University of Minnesota Medical School 2003
- Residency in Surgery: Washington University School of Medicine 2005
- Fellowship in Research: Washington University/Barnes Jewish Hospital 2007
- Residency in Surgery: Washington University School of Medicine 2010
- Fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery: Washington University/Barnes Jewish Hospital 2012
- Certification: Am Bd of Surgery
- Certification: Am Bd of Thoracic Surgery-Thoracic & Cardiac Surgery