Joseph W. Walter, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Emergency Medicine
I started my medical career as an emergency medical technician (EMT) in New Mexico. Working in the Emergency Room (ER) there inspired me to go to medical school and become an emergency medicine physician. I work in a variety of emergency rooms, from the larger Regions Hospital ER to the smaller St. Croix Regional Medical Center ER.
Both the large and small ERs have their own challenges. While I enjoy the fast pace of the larger hospitals, at times I enjoy the pace of the smaller ERs, where I get more of a chance to chat with the patients, hear their stories and hear about their experiences. I enjoy meeting the variety of people I see in the ER and getting to know them, helping them to the best of my ability.
When I'm not working, I spend time with my family and try to get out and be active as much as possible. I enjoy disc golfing and tennis in the summer, and in the winter I play hockey.
I am a member of the following professional associations:
* Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM)
* American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
* Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS)
- Medical School: St. Louis University School of Medicine 2010
- Residency in Emergency Medicine: HealthPartners Institute for Educ & Research/Regions Hosp 2013
- Fellowship in Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine: Hennepin County Medical Center 2014
- Certification: Am Bd of Emergency Medicine