Rehabilitation InstituteHome > Specialties > Rehabilitation Institute > Pre-operative joint replacement class
Pre-operative joint replacement class
If you are going to have joint replacement surgery at Regions Hospital, we encourage you to attend this class. We also encourage you to invite a family member or friend to attend the class if that person will be helping you after surgery.
The class is taught by a nurse, physical therapist, occupational therapist and social worker. The first part of the class is a group information session with other people who will also be having joint replacements. The second part is individual sessions with each therapist or caregiver. The class provides the following information:
- The nurse tells you what you need to bring to the hospital and how to get ready for your surgery including bathing, taking medications and limiting your eating and drinking, as well as your anesthesia options. He/she also talks about the surgery process and what to expect after you have been transferred to your room.
- The physical and occupational therapists let you know what to expect from therapy following your surgery and what equipment you may need. They will also give you information on the anatomy of the joint that is being replaced and show you what the new joint looks like.
- The social worker talks about discharge options such as being discharged directly back to home with home care services or being discharged to a transitional care center where you can continue to receive therapy until you can safely return home.
- The staff will show you what a typical hospital room looks like, the types of equipment you may use following your surgery, what to expect while in therapy and how nurses will assist you.
- The therapists will meet with you individually to evaluate your strength, motion and function. They may also show you exercises you should begin doing to help prepare for surgery.
Please schedule your class when your surgery is scheduled. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the class starts so we can help you register. This registration will be verified again when you are admitted for surgery.
The class is held each Tuesday and Thursday but confirm the schedule when registering for your class. Class will start at 1 p.m. and lasts until 3 p.m.
The class is held at Regions Hospital in the conference room on the 9th floor of the South Section. Please stop at the Guest Services desk for directions to the room.
Parking is available in the new main entrance underground parking. Take the parking elevators to 1st floor and ask Guest Services for directions to the 9th floor. Your parking ticket will be stamped at the class for a discount.
If you would like more information about this program or if you have a conflict with your scheduled class date, please call our Physical Therapy department at 651-254-2071.
Make an appointment
Find a doctorOur staff includes 700 HealthPartners providers.