William B. Nelson, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Cardiology
As I completed a dual M.D./Ph.D. in medical school, I chose cardiology because I was interested in the study of hemodynamics. My work with a cardiovascular physiologist mentor also influenced my decision. My mentor helped me see how cardiology brought scientific training together with emotional support for patients. I like to be in a specialty where you can do interventions that make people feel better right away and also influence a better prognosis. My special clinical interest is in cardiovascular imaging, including cardiac MRI, CT scans, nuclear cardiology and echocardiography. I am also interested in cardiac rehab and how completing a program can significantly improve outcomes for patients with coronary artery disease and heart failure.
My goal working with patients is to set up the best possible outcome by doing a thorough workup and making decisions guided by their wants and needs. I'm interested in quality and evidence-based medicine. After gathering as much data as possible and considering a patient's input, then we can create a care plan that makes sense.
In my free time, I enjoy working on patents for CT and nuclear medicine imaging. I already hold 10 patents. When the weather is nice, I like boating and swimming. In the winter, I like to travel to warm places.
In the past, I was the Department Head of Cardiology at Regions Hospital for nine years. I currently direct the Cardiac Rehab and Cardiovascular Research programs. I have also been honored as one of the top cardiologists several times by Mpls/St. Paul magazine. Finally, I am a member of the following professional associations:
* Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT)
* American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (ASNC)
* Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR)
* American College of Cardiology (ACC)
- Medical School: University of Minnesota Medical School 1993
- Residency in Internal Medicine: University of Minnesota Medical Center 1995
- Fellowship in Cardiovascular Disease: University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics 1998
- Fellowship in Nuclear Medicine: University of Wisconsin Hospitals- Madison 1999
- Certification: Am Bd of Internal Medicine-Cardiovascular Disease