Julie A. Switzer, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Orthopedic Surgery
I've had a love of science since I was a child. I grew up believing I would someday be a physician and that belief never wavered. I became an orthopaedic surgeon because I love the focus of surgery and find it especially gratifying to be able to restore function and comfort to my patients.
My special focus is fracture treatment of the elderly. I am the Director of Geriatric Trauma at Regions Hospital and have developed a Master's Program designed to provide both operative and non-operative treatment. The program is designed to help patients improve their bone health and balance to prevent falls and additional fractures. Our Mobile Outreach program provides on-site orthopaedic and musculoskeletal care at nursing facilities. Geriatric nurse practitioners, utilizing mobile x-ray technology, treat orthopaedic concerns where these patients live. This has been an important program as it's often a hardship for elderly patients in community living to travel to a clinic.
In addition to geriatric trauma and caring for the frail elderly, my special interests include shoulder injuries, arthritis, and general trauma at any age. I enjoy working with patients of all ages and would like them to know that I will treat them the way I'd like one of my family members to be treated. I take my time when meeting with patients and their families, and I do my best to clearly explain things and listen to their concerns.
I enjoy spending my free time with my husband and daughter. We like to run, cook, read and walk our dogs.
I am board certified in orthopaedic surgery. I serve on the board of the International Geriatric Fracture Society (IGFS) and am one of their founding members. In addition, I am a member of the following professional associations:
* Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society (RJOS)
* Minnesota Orthopaedic Society (MOS)
* National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF)
* The American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR)
* American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
* Orthopaedic Trauma Association (OTA)
* Fragility Fracture Network (FFN)
- Medical School: Stanford University 1994
- Internship in Surgery: University of Washington 1995
- Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery: University of Washington 1999
- Fellowship in Sports Medicine: Vail Valley Medical Center 2000
- Certification: Am Bd of Orthopaedic Surgery