James G. Schlaefer, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Surgery
- Secondary Language: Haitian Creole
As a medical student, I witnessed a patient die from a gunshot wound, and that event turned me toward a practice in surgery. I enjoy a broad spectrum of surgery - from the simplest procedure to the most complex. My special interests include thyroid and parathyroid surgery as well as surgical oncology. I work in the Breast Health Center at Regions Hospital and help many breast cancer patients. I also frequently perform a minimally invasive varicose vein procedure that I helped develop.
When patients come to me, I take my time, explaining the procedure as if they were my family members. That's always how I treat my patients: like family.
In my free time, I enjoy traveling, fishing for lake trout in the Arctic, golfing, photography and yoga. I have a special interest in fly fishing and fly tying. For several years, I have been volunteering for an annual mission trip to Haiti.
I am a member of the Minneapolis Surgical Society (MPLSS).
- Medical School: University of Wisconsin Hospitals- Madison 1981
- Internship in Surgery: Wayne State University 1982
- Residency in Surgery: Wayne State University 1986
- Certification: Am Bd of Surgery