Elaine C. Nelson, CNS-A
- Practicing Department: Cardiology
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
I was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and spent my early years there, but I also have roots in Northwestern Iowa and Minnesota. My undergraduate work was done at South Dakota State University in Brookings. I came to Minneapolis for graduate school at the University of Minnesota because South Dakota didn't have a master's program in nursing at that time.
I worked part-time at University Hospital during school and enjoyed the pace in the surgical intensive care unit. I also learned that teaching is very rewarding for me, so I was a clinical instructor and adjunct faculty for the University of Minnesota School of Nursing after graduation.
One of the resident physicians I had worked with recruited me as a mid-level provider to work with him at Regions Hospital in Neurosurgery. When he left Regions, I went back to graduate school to complete the coursework needed to be a care provider in the Section of Cardiology. I started with cardiothoracic surgery and now work in cardiology, in the catheterization lab.
- Professional School in Psychology: South Dakota State University - Brookings 1971
- Professional School in Nursing: South Dakota State University - Brookings 1976
- Professional School: University of Minnesota School of Nursing 1980
- Certification: ANCC-Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist