Gretchen M. Niemioja, MD
- Practicing Specialty: Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
As a physiatrist, a specialist in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, I have the privilege of working with a multidisciplinary team (which includes physical/occupational/speech therapists, nurses, social workers, care coordinators, other physicians and other health care professionals). We work together to help improve the function, independence and quality of life of people who have suffered a severe or prolonged illness or injury such as stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, multiple traumatic injuries, burns and amputation.
I have particular interests in neurological rehabilitation, spasticity management (including botox injections) and cancer rehabilitation.
Cancer and cancer treatment frequently lead to functional impairments which can impact daily life, recreation and work. This can be related to severe fatigue, pain, joint stiffness, weakness, numbness, swelling, as well as problems with balance, thinking, memory, speaking, eating/swallowing. Through all phases of cancer treatment, the goal of cancer rehabilitation is to optimize function and quality of life.
Outside of work I enjoy spending time with family, learning languages, traveling and being outdoors.
American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Association of Academic Physiatrists
Minnesota Medical Association
- HealthPartners Neuroscience Center - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- 295 Phalen Blvd Saint Paul, MN 55130 (map)
- Appointments: (651) 495-6403
- Regions Hospital Rehabilitation Institute - Hospital Campus
- 640 Jackson St Saint Paul, MN 55101 (map)
- Appointments: (651) 254-2071
- Medical School: University of Minnesota Medical School 2008
- Internship in Internal Medicine: University of Minnesota Medical Center 2009
- Residency in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation: University of Minnesota Medical Center 2012
- Certification: Am Bd of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation