Skip to main content


Regions Hospital - Burn Center - Elmo 1 cool the burn
Regions Hospital - Burn Center - Elmo 2 cool the burn

Bandages can be a strip of cloth or other material used to cover a wound or protect an injured part. Bandages are used to keep burn dressings in place and to cover any medicine or creams that have been put on a burn wound. Common bandages include:

This is a white gauze dressing.
Elastic wrap
Its common name is Ace wrap. This bandage provides pressure and vascular suppport.
It’s an elastic open weave dressing.
Cotton batting
Used to pad and protect an area.
It’s an absorbent padded dressing; comes in shapes to fit different areas of the body.
This is an open weave dressing.
Soft kling
A small, soft, stretchy wrap often used to cover burns on fingers.
Back to top